- Number of credits10
- Teaching semester2023 Autumn
- Language of instructionEnglish
- Required prerequisite knowledge
No special requirements.
- Artistic statement and expressions in and with games
- Use of virtual space as artistic expression
- Using formal aesthetical means such as colour, form, rhythm, and contrast in VR/AR applications aiming for a holistic and congruent result and gestalt
- Game creation for serious games
- World building for serious games
- Level design
- Narrative in serious games
- UX in serious games
- Rules, affordances and agency in serious games
- Prototyping serious games
- Serious games for VR/AR platforms
- User experience and evaluation
A candidate who has completed the course has the following total learning outcomes, defined by knowledge, skills and general competence:
- has advanced knowledge in the field of serious games
- has advanced knowledge of the artists’ role in relation to the design and creation of serious games
- has advanced knowledge of how rules, audio-visual content, events and narratives affect serious games
- has advanced knowledge of skills and disciplines required within a team working on serious games
- has thorough knowledge on explaining artistic motivation and design choices
- has thorough knowledge of the interplay between a game and its context
- has advanced knowledge of developing interactive toolbox for testing purpose
- can take the creative lead in conceptualizing game worlds for serious games
- can develop and communicate complex artistic visions for and with serious games
- can design for a specific user experience can collaborate with clients, the public and multidisciplinary teams
- can apply her knowledge and competence to a wide range of platforms, including VR/AR
- can assess a game and its context through systems analysis
- can apply an iterative design process in serious games creation
- can promote artistic choices, research perspectives, and ethical considerations
- can maintain an overview and navigate a multidisciplinary serious games production team
- can analyse serious games from artistic, theoretical and ethical perspectives
The course is organised as a combination of lectures, practical exercises, and supervision. Throughout the course, students will do practical work on a gamification project in groups.
- 1 group assignment making a Serious Game simulation using system thinking, XR, Programming and a game engine. Done in cooperation with the Artists.
● 1 oral group examination which counts for 40% of the grade
● 1 group folder assignment (assessed from the compulsory group assignments) which counts for 60% of the grade
To pass the course, both examinations must be passed.
All group members share responsibility for the full content of the assignment/product/performance from the group-projects.
Alphabetical grades are used, on a scale from A to F, with E as the lowest passing grade.
|Form of assessment
|Duration of assessment
ECTS - A-F
ECTS - A-F
AVR4003 Technical Game Design for VR/AR Productions